In honour of deafblind awareness month, agencies supporting individuals who are deafblind will be coming together for a global initiative this June. This exciting and creative event will engage members of the deafblind community in a tactile art project using yarn.
Whether you knit, crochet or wrap a space or object in your community, celebrate deafblind awareness month with us!
Members of the National Deafblind Awareness Month (NDBAM) Committee, including Sensity, are excited to take part in Deafblind International’s (DbI) global yarn bombing movement.
Why Yarn Bombing?
- Global yarn bombing is an EXCITING, FUN, and CREATIVE way to engage members of the deafblind community in a tactile art project.
- Each installation around the world will be constructed by people with deafblindness, their families and loved ones, advocates, Human support services/ Interpreter-guides/ Deafblind interpretation services/ Support Service Programs/ Intervenors/ Support Service Providers (SSP), and others in the field.
- Each knit or crochet square will be attached to cover a designated community space or object.
- This symbolizes the coming together of people in the field of deafblindness.
- Our goal is to increase awareness and knowledge of deafblindness as a unique disability and to influence for appropriate services for people who are deafblind around the world.
*Please follow the necessary procedures and precautions in your community to promote the health and safety of your broader community #covid19